What does "repository" mean?
A repository is a virtual facility to store and manage digital files (texts, audio, video, images, music, etc.) and to make them available on the web.
It also includes indexing and content description tools, and it facilitates the display from other internet sites (interoperability).
The UdG Library has created the digital repository to preserve and to widely spread the intellectual production of the Universitat de Girona.
DUGi contributes to:
- Increase the visibility of authors and their documents, as well as of the UdG.
- Add value to documents with the indexing, the bibliographic citation and the permanent URL.
- Protect further uses of the documents with Creative Commons licenses.
- Guarantee the preservation of the stored materials.
Why do we say "preserve"?
- It preserves the copyright: creative Commons licenses are a guarantee and regulation tool of these rights.
- It is an archive of the UdG academic production and it facilitates further uses (to share and recycle material, to avoid duplicates, ...).
- It guarantees the material preservation and that each digital object has a permanent URL.
Why do we say "spread"?
- It guarantees interoperability: documents in the repository can be located through other repositories and search engines that use the same standards, and through Google and other Internet search engines.
- It increases visibility and the impact of the UdG academic production.
- It indexes the contents and makes them retrievable.
- It allows transversality, access and use of materials to other UdG or worldwide professors and students.
- UdG Quality mark.
- It's been set up using free software (DSpace, php, Postgres, SOLR, etc.) and supported on an open operating system (Linux).
- It uses the harvesting standards (OAI-PHM) and the metadata standards (Dublin Core), as well as the most widely used permanent links (handle) in the repository world.
- Indexes enable a quick access to the items from different entry points and also grouping them in several categories.
- The streaming server enables to embed videos from the repository and to access them on demand, making its display easier.
- It enables to perform from the most simple to the most complex searches with no need to use complex search forms.
- It offers a simple and usable interface to provide the user with a unified and friendly document search of the UdG documents.
- It guarantees the preservation of the stored documents, as it periodically checks the integrity, makes backups and guarantees access managing the possible and necessary format changes.
- It provides an authority control and guarantees the non-existence of duplicate entries.
- It applies search engine optimization techniques (SEO) to position items on the web and to offer maximum visibility.